Not for the next couple of weeks at least. I went to my physio on Friday and while I was there I mentioned that a tiny little spot on my shin hurts like crazy when I touch it. He took a look, poked around and said that while he doesn’t think it’s quite a stress fracture, one more run will turn it into one for sure. That, combined with the fact that I could barely do an assisted squat without my right knee giving out on me led him to tell me that I should take at least the week off of running.
I’m pretty upset – I have a half marathon in about a month – but at the same time I can’t say I’m horribly surprised. I’ve been nursing multiple aches and pains for months now, and I haven’t had a pain free run in months. So really, I suppose I should have seen it coming. But I was stubborn and thought I could make it another month, run the half and then take a break. Dumb and cocky? Yeah. But hindsight is 20/20 and all that.
On the bright side, my physio did say that he’s completely fine with me cycling, as long as I roll the heck out of my IT band afterwards. So the plan is to spend maybe seven hours a week or so on my bike. If my knee starts hurting, I’ll have to switch over to the elliptical, which I really don’t want to do, but I suppose it’s time to (wo)man up and be an adult and all that. I want to keep up as much endurance and leg strength as I can, so that my return to running isn’t too bad
No workout summary this time, there was one hot and painful 5 mile run but that’s been it.
So yeah. I suppose this one goes into the ever growing “I’m not invincible” pile.
The title says it all. It’s been a fun month of playing around with running, yoga and strength, but it’s time to kick it up a notch. And actually stick to my monthly goals. Recap is happening August 1.
- STICK TO MY HALF MARATHON SCHEDULE. I want to run the Lululemon Seawheeze Half in under 2 hours. This means I need to stick to the schedule. I’ll be posting my schedule every Monday and recapping on Sundays.
- Apply for the two positions at my school’s paper that I’m interested in. Writing the cover letters tonight, editing and submitting tomorrow.
- Keep up with all my readings for classes. I’m only in two classes, so I have no ecuse to slack.
- Find a new job. I’ve been a sales assistant and cashier at the furniture/home store where I work for almost a year and I’m over it. Time to find something new.
- Fit into the jeans that I can currently not quite buckle. I’m 158lbs now and I’ve been as low as 146lbs within the past year and I think if I got down to there again I could actually buckle those jeans of mine.
- Take care of my hair. I have INSANELY curly and messy hair and so I’ve been getting it permanently straightened for years. Last time I got it done was in February 2010, I believe. It’s about 1/2 grown out now and I want to grow it out fully and see if I can learn to tame it in it’s natural state rather than spending $500/year on straightening it.
- Try a running club out. I want to try running with other people since none of my friends run and I’m tired of going to races alone :/
So there we go! Seven goals for the month. I’ll check in weekly to update you all on my progress and hopefully I’ll be able to stay on track!